Wednesday 30 March 2011

Food!

"Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done."
-Amelia Earhart

A year ago today I fit perfectly into my favourite pair of size 10 shorts.  Yesterday morning I tried to put them on and they fell right off.  Right down to the floor.  I put on my belt and they still fell down.  Sigh.  This means I need to buy new shorts.  A quick trip downtown yielded great results.  I bought three pairs of shorts and looked at some dresses.  The best news is that I am now a size 4.  Now I know size doesn't matter and blah blah blah but I don't care!  I've never been this size before.  I owe it all to running and eating the right diet for my body.

Yes, I know my handwriting is hideous.  My typing is even worse, somehow.  But as you can see, my grocery list has a focus on produce.  Food passes through my system very quickly, so I prefer to eat foods that my body breaks down quickly.  That's mostly veggies and fruit.  Plus simple grains and seeds.  I'm going to experiment adding greek yoghurt back into my diet.  It's sooo delicious, but my body hates digesting dairy.  It also hates digesting meat, hence my mostly vegan shopping list. 

I don't stick to anything strict when it comes to portions or calorie counting, but I stop eating when I still feel a little hungry.  I function better on small meal throughout the day.  It's fun since it gives the illusion that I'm always eating, yet magically shrinking.

A few rules I try to live by:

1. Eat 3-4 types of fruits and vegetables a day.  Variety is key here.  So is volume.  At least 60% of what I aim to eat is fruits and vegetables.

2. 2 tablespoons of flax and chia every morning.  Omega-3's are important!

3. Oatz!  I only eat rolled oats raw, but I like to eat cooked steel-cut oats when I have the time in the morning.  Oats have more fibre than any other grain, and I think due to my family's heritage we're just made to consume oats. 


I actually spend only around $20-$30 a week on groceries.  The list you see is part of an extended 2-week list aimed to take advantage of sales.  I also try to spread out buying staple items, since they are heavy and can be an investment.  I'm not quite out of potatoes but the store has a 10-lb nag on sale for $2.  I'm debating if I want to buy it or not.  I do have a fixed-up buggie.  But I have at least a week's worth of potatoes still. 

My other internal debate is my run for today.  I really really really want to run this fun, hilly 15k route I mapped out.  The issue is that I realise that I am very strong at running long, slow, hilly routes, and I need to work on speed.  So really I should be going down by the lake and running km repeats or something like that.  Maybe I can somehow combine the two, and run a 15k fartlek with 1-minute sprints every 5 minutes?  That could be crazy fun.  Might be hard to pull off on my route.  Sigh, I think I might go down by the lake.  I really want to work on my speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment