Saturday 12 March 2011

Paying it forward

"We run, not because we think it is doing us good, but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves...The more restricted our society and work become, the more necessary it will be to find some outlet for this craving for freedom. No one can say, 'You must not run faster than this, or jump higher than that.' The human spirit is indomitable."
-Sir Roger Bannister, first runner to run a sub-4 minute mile 

My delicious dinner!


Spinach
Bean Sprouts
1/2 Yellow Pepper
1/8 cup Chick Peas
Olive Oil + Balsalmic

I've been sidelined with a head injury for almost two weeks now, and it's given me a lot of time to think about why I run, why others run, and why some people don't run.  Sometimes all it takes is one bad run to ruin the experience.  But I don't think it has to be this way!  I'm currently working on my own running "comeback".  I've struggled to find motivation since the fall, but I've finally pulled myself out of that hole.  It really just comes back to being fully in control of everything.  When I run, I feel extremely tuned-in to my body and my surroundings.  I'm not limited by bus stops and paved roads.  It's a very nice feeling.  Exploring my neighborhood has also been pretty fun, too.  I found a relaxing meditation spot down by the lake, and nothing is more rewarding halfway through a long run than taking a minute to watch the boats at the marina.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment